Monday, July 6, 2009

Backpacking in the Weminuche Wilderness

We grabbed the packs and headed for the hills on a short 3 day trip into the backcountry. The beauty of this was that the trailhead (Vallecito Creek) is 15 miles from the house. We went in Thursday morning and pulled off 8.5 miles, camping within a stones throw of the Johnson Creek bridge. Prior to this we had to ford the Mighty Vallecito Creek (video coming soon).

There's nothing like a hot cup of coffee in the morning at a place like this!!

This is the trail marker for the Johnson Creek trail. Due to the bridge being out, not a lot of folks come back this way. Johnson creek was one of the best trails I have hiked for overall beauty. I can't wait to get all the way up into the Vallecito Basin next summer.

All of the creeks were running strong and balance came in handy. The new set of Danner Boots are all that I'd hoped they'd be. In them, out there, I am a force of nature.

I believe these to be early season Agaric mushrooms. Fatties!


This fella was packing in gear for three hikers. They rallied the horses and rode right across that creek. I wish I had four wheel drive.

No comments: